Thursday, March 25, 2010

Homemade yoghurt, two ways - part 2

As promised yesterday, I bring you the busy person's homemade yoghurt. This recipe uses a large thermos ("easiyo"), and again, as in part 1, a 1 litre/1 quart container to hold the yoghurt. If you don't have an easiyo* thermos, the same technique can be used with a wine cooler or esky, anything that is large enough to accomodate the yoghurt container and some hot water. The recipe also calls for milk powder, which may not suit you if you are a purist. For the busy person short on time, milk powder will be your new best friend.

When making yoghurt with milk powder, the reconstituted milk doesn't need to be heated. I'm guessing the proteins in the milk have already been changed through the dehydration process, so it's ready to go! Which is great for us. No heating the milk, no pots to clean and no cooling down time. Just one container, prepared in the time it takes to boil a kettle. Intrigued?

Here's how:

Fill kettle and switch on to boil

Measure out milk powder - 1 1/3 cups. For some strange reason I have been using 1 cup of whole milk powder and 1/3 cup of skim, don't ask me why, it's just the strange quirky way I make it.

Half fill the container with cold water (tap is fine). Add the milk powder and put the lid on. Give it a good shake, holding onto the lid if you are at all worried about it leaking. Shake the mixture until it is all combined and smooth - about 20 seconds.


Pour some of this thick milk mixture into a mug and add 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt (from a generous friend or bought. Once you have made the first batch, yoghurt from this can be used for the 'starter' for the next batch). Whisk well with a fork to combine.


Pour the 'starter milk' from the mug into the container and fill to the brim with cold water.


Stir well with a fork. Place lid on container. By now the kettle should have boiled. Fill up the easiyo thermos to the top of the white holder inside. If using another type of thermos/holder, place the yoghurt container inside, and fill with boiling water to half way up the sides of the yoghurt container.



Place the yoghurt into the thermos.....



And fit the lid. Leave for the desired amount of incubation time. More time equals more tartness, less time produces a milder yoghurt. I usually leave mine in for around 10 hours (overnight). This suits me as I can put it together just before bed, and it is ready to go into the fridge when I get up.


After 10 hours in the thermos.


Thick, creamy and so good for you.

If you are looking for an even creamier yoghurt, it can be removed from the container and placed into a cloth lined sieve, positioned over a bowl, to allow it to drain for several hours. Store this little set-up in the fridge. The whey that collects in the bowl can be used in baking/cooking or given to the chooks as a treat.

As in version 1, this yoghurt will keep for up to 2 weeks and has a million uses.

For a sweet vanilla yoghurt, add 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract along with the milk powder in the beginning.

* Easiyo thermos' are available from Big W, Coles and IGA's for around $18. No need to buy the pre-flavoured packets. Making the yoghurt with milk powder works out cheaper and flavours to suit personal taste can be added in the form of fruit, jams, honey etc....

13 comments:

  1. Love my easiyo I make it frequently and use the same recipe as you works great or if you buy the easiyo mix just use a couple of tbsp of mix and it works great too and you get heaps out of one packet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, Yes, I am intrigued. I love making yoghurt in our Easiyo. Our sons love it! I have only used the pouches so far, but am keen to try your recipe. I was just wondering if it would be okay to freeze the 'starter' yoghurt until I need it? I have just made a batch of natural(from the pouch) and would like to make up some of the vanilla, like you have suggested here. If I make a batch of the vanilla flavoured one, can I use this as the starter for the next batch or does it need to be from natural? Sorry for the questions. Lol. Thanks for any help. Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, I have frozen 'starter' yoghurt in the past, although the result when made, was a fairly runny batch (not sure why? - it could've just been a one-off). The subsequent batch made from this runny batch turned out fine though. Re. the vanilla yoghurt, I have only ever made it with a natural starter, not the vanilla...I'm not sure how this would go - I guess you can only give it a go and see! If it doesn't work out, you could maybe try freezing some natural yoghurt in ice-cube trays to have on hand, or do as Debbie does and use 2 tbs of powder from the natural pouch. Good luck and have fun with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christine, Thanks for your quick reply. Will try to freeze the 'starter' and see how that goes. The boys go through a 1kg lot in about 5 or 6 days. So, I thought I could keep some in the fridge for the vanilla and freeze some for when I need to make a batch of the natural.

    And yeah, I could also give Debbie's suggestion a whirl. Thanks. I used most of my natural lot to make quark yesterday. I haven't checked it out yet, but, I'm excited! I'll let you know how it all works out.

    Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to hear how you go, Deb, your boys are very lucky to have such a great mum! I'm interested in your quark and what's involved...
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine, Found out about quark on Rhonda Jean's blog(down- to-earth). It is a type of cream cheese made from yoghurt. You basically press all the whey out of the yoghurt and use the leftover as cream cheese. If you do a search for quark at Rhonda's blog you will see how she does it, I just did the same thing.

    Mine has worked out lovely. I plan to flavour some with some tomato relish I made last year. And I might sweeten some up with some of the local home I was given.
    I have a girlfriend and family coming over tomorrow, so will use the whey to make scones with. Yummo.

    Thanks for the compliment on being a great Mum, sure your girls have a great one too. We try our best.

    Have a great weekend.
    Cheers, Deb

    p.s. Absolutely loved the vege photos!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine, I use organic UHT milk that I get from my local health food store to make our yoghurt, It doesnt need to be heated or anything, just pour it into a litre preserving jar and add the yoghurt starter, give it a stir, pop it in the easiyo flask and done. The kids and I love homemade yoghurt.
    Just found your blog tonight and am enjoying immensly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi MaeKellan, welcome :o) Great point about the UHT milk. I have used it too and it's wonderful not having to heat it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh fantastic, there's my answer about uht milk and heating. I love LinkWithin it takes me to all sorts of wonderful places. I have been using my easiyo but heating the milk and then cooling it to cold in the fridge. I'm going to try the powdered milk option now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The powdered milk saves so much time, Kirsten, not to mention packaging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi...I just came across this and have a question..sorry if its a silly one. Does the starter have to be natural yoghurt or, if you have made a vanilla yoghurt beforehand and have that left over, can you use that as the two tablespoons of starter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found this! I have an easiyo and find it a little xpensive - I'll be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for this wonderful post, I had a severe pancreatitus attack last year and had to change my diet drastically and one of the things I heavily rely on is yogurt, using it per norm and making it into a butter/topping and a savory cheese by draining, and then use the nutritious whey in my green smoothies and home made bread.

    I made a litre according to your use of UHT milk using a semi skimmed milk from Lidl's powdered milk from Asda and 3 tbsp of Easiyo Greek yogurt, cost, well under a £1 instead of £2.50! It came out equally as nice as the genuine easiyo and I will be continuing to make my yogurt this way, thank you.

    A little tip, I preheated my Easiyo flask with a cup of boiling water, emptied and then put boiling water in, made the heart last longer.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...