Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Calendula Salve

After my recent satisfaction with making some homemade comfrey ointment (salve),  I took the advice of Lisa  and gave some homemade calendula salve a go.

Making it was very similar to the comfrey salve, although this time I empolyed the use of the slow cooker to infuse the petals and oil. I also tried a double infusion this time, which I had been wanting to give a try.

Homemade calendula salve, to aid in the healing of cuts, bites, stings, rashes and other minor skin irritations.

Calendula Salve
300ml olive oil (or other vegetable oil to your liking)
dried calendula flower heads (I used 2 generous handfuls)
30g beeswax, grated

As I had a ready supply of dried calendula petals grown in our garden over the summer, I opted to use them up.


Homegrown and dried calendula petals (Calendula Officinalis)
The oil and a generous handful of flower heads and petals were placed into the slow cooker on 'low' heat and left for around 4 hours. As the flower heads were thoroughly dried, there was no splattering in the pot caused by moisture, like there was with the comfrey ointment.

After four hours, the oil was sieved and returned to the pot with a fresh handful of dried flowers. This was left to infuse on 'low' for another four hours. As my slow cooker is really old (!), and doesn't get up to the hot temperatures that slow cookers of today seem to do, I was pretty confident that the oil would be safe in there and not overheat, ruining the infusion and possibly burning.

After the second infusion, the oil was again strained and the grated beeswax was added and allowed to melt into the oil before pouring into a clean salsa jar. It was left uncovered until the mixture had set, which took around 15-20 minutes. Oops, I forgot to add, I also added about 4 drops of lavender oil while the beeswax was melting, both for fragrance and soothing properties.

We started using the salve straight away. I have been rubbing it on all of my 'dry' bits - feet, hands, fingernails, while the 9 yo has been applying it to her sore ears where she seems to often get skin irritations. We have both seen an improvement in just this short week we have been using it. Of course, the other two suddenly 'discovered' hidden scratches and cuts that needed some homemade medicinal love....

12 comments:

  1. Oooh you made some, how wonderful!

    It looks just like the ointment I buy, except that one has lanolin and tea tree oil in. Once we run out I'll give your recipe a try. I also managed to find some comfrey seedlings on the weekend, so once it grows enough I'll try the comfrey salve too.

    Thanks for linking to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Christine, I might even take the plunge myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This spring/summer I sold mixed greens adorned with calendula petals at the local growers market but I think I am going to save some for myself next year. I was very impressed with your comfrey salve too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful. I will have to wait for calendula flowerheads, because I still have to sow them ; )
    Thank you for the recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely sunshiny love in a jar! Good job - I'm inspired to try such things, but first, the snow needs to melt so I can plant my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really happy with it, Lisa and it was so simple. Well done on tracking down some comfrey to grow..once it settles into the ground it really takes off and there is no stopping it! Apparently it can be harvested up to four times a year!

    It's very easy, Rose and so satisfying to make at home. Very soothing on the skin, too,

    We like to eat the calendula petals too, Tanya - in salads. Your bouquets of mixed greens and calendulas sound lovely!

    You're welcome, Monique. Once they have flowered and gone to seed in the garden they seem to pop up from every which way!

    Perfect description, Little Home - Sunshiny love in a jar! Happy gardening but enjoy that snow while it's still around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an inspiration - thanks for sharing! I've planted 7-8 calendulas (from seed) this spring in Florida, hoping to get enough flowers for dyeing and this salve.
    --Max Arliss

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, am trying this out with some dried calendula which has been in the cupboard for quite awhile, hope it is still worthwhile to use! The crockpot mini worked really well for the comfrey salve, cannot wait to try this, as I have real dry skin.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also make a healing salve and as well as the calendula I use some chamomile for its soothing properties in the oil and then use E.O. of Lavender and Tea Tree for its anti fungal and anti bacterial properties and you can also add some Vitamin E and glycerine, I find this good for bites, stings, cuts, bruises and have even used it on sunburn, I also find it really good for eczema in some cases as it is very moisturising and a lot of eczema is caused by dryness. Can even use it on animals.
    Wonderful stuff love it and use it all the time

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made mine with Chickweed, Confrey and Calendula, a few drops of lavender and teatree EOs, and VitE. Feel in love ith first use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing - you should never allow your heat to go over 300F or you actually kill some of the beneficial properties of the herbs. Also, never harvest herbs/flowers/etc. from a roadside as auto emissions will be absorbed by the plants as they grow. AND, keep your herbal remedies (not to mention fresh juice) away from the sun as sunlight destroys vitamin C. This is why vitamins and prescription drugs are stored in dark containers.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...