Random ramblings of late

Of late, we have been eating cucumbers aplenty. They seem to be the only things really happy in our garden at the moment! If only we had some more tomatoes, a few lettuces, a little coriander and a bed of carrots, then, then I would be a happy woman.. I'm not picky, really!



Of late, the bush pumpkins have started to form fruit. Small fruit, but that's fine by me because I, along with hubby will be the only one to eat them..


We have still been eating as much as we can from the garden while we wait endlessly for those tomatoes to ripen. Loads of potatoes, the cutest little eggplants you ever did see, a regular intake of zucchinis (but no glut - thank goodness!), and silverbeet. This week in a spinach pie/Spanakopita. Although a friend and I both cheat when making it..no layers of pastry and filling, just one hefty layer of cheesy spinach goodness, topped with a reliable layer of puff pastry and then baked...a good dinner here, oh yes. Anything with feta, homemade ricotta, free range eggs and fresh garden greenery in it has to be a good dinner, wouldn't you say?


**Spinach pie recipe here. Substitute homemade ricotta for the cottage cheese and add a couple of dollops of natural yoghurt if mixture is on the thick side. Homemade Ricotta instructions here.**

 Our neighbour's quince tree is teasing us with ripening fruit. He kindly rang and left a message to say it was ready for picking..and so one day after seeing to the goats I jumped the fence and loaded up a bucketful to be made into paste/jelly.


I was also sprung big time today while making brownies for the tweens. I decided to use the tempting recipe provided by dixiebelle but while assembling the sneaky, greeny chocolately treat, one after the other they all came into the kitchen to spy me grating the zucchini! Ugh! Why, oh, why are they so ANTI-zucchini?

Busted!
Of late, I have found a wonderful new opp/thrift shop! It's a little gem tucked out of the way jam packed full of vintage goodness...


$16 saw two bags full to the brim with things I suddenly couldn't live without, including a new/old pinny (apron), a preserving book I've been hunting down for aaaages and around 1700m of vintage sock weight woolen yarn.


Yes, I did measure it! It came in a huge skein, made up of smaller skeins, so I have been spending odd moments here and there winding it using a vintage Singer yarn winder I also picked up at an opp shop several months ago. I find it extremely easy to knit from this type of ball as the thread can be pulled straight from the centre, eliminating Roll Away Ball issue. A huge plus for when one is out knitting in public and the runaway ball invariably heads towards strange men's ankles...

I've also been thinking of the next update for the Slow Living - Month by Month diary..

Month two already to review! Are you thinking of joining in this month? I will post my February update in the next day or two. As with last month you are most welcome to participate and leave a link to your own bloggy update.



I found this little visitor in the greenhouse yesterday, unphased by my proddings with the camera. Cute, eh!

We have had an enormous amount of rain here today.  I hope you and your house stayed dry if you got it too!


Comments

  1. OH THAT PRESERVING BOOK looks AMAZING!!!!! What a wonderful find and all that yarn - what will you make? That shade of green is one of my favorites - EARTHY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden produce is looking great , Christine. We are getting our first big crop of egg plants this year , if I can just keep the chickens out of the plot. Looks like you are immersed in simplicity and self sufficiency! I totally get the zuchinni story..... our kids are better now that they are older,but I do still get caught when I am throwing in a weird and healthy ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too have plenty of cucumber but our tomatoes are all finished. Next year we will have to put in a successive planting I think.Your garden produce looks amazing. Beautiful yarn and I love that little yarn winder.Will you make socks. I've just started my very first pair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful month you're having, Chris! The wool looks wonderfully soft - I remember knitting with the old Patons 4ply back in the "old" days. :) Our garden has had a rough year - it's now starting to warm up, but the constant wet and lack of sunshine has really played havoc this year. Your cucumbers are doing much better than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earthy is exactly what it is, Becky! I'm pondering over the options but am leaning towards using double strands to increase the thickness..

      It is a real secret mission here to make anything containing zucchini, Kim. I long for the day when it's not the case!

      Hmmm, not sure about the socks, Kate - perhaps if there is leftover yarn. I'm thinking about something to wear up top instead.. ;)

      Ha, in the old days, Celia? You're funny. Lack of sunshine seems to be all over...where is it?

      Delete
  5. Please tell me the recipe turned out OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fine! Just different to what they were used to. Two happily took it in their lunchbox today.. I'm still working on the third! ;)

      Delete
  6. More great op shop finds! Your little visitor should keep the snail and bug population under control :). I make a chicken and corn pie that has 2 cups of grated zucchini in it and also a zuchinni slice that contains about 3 cups of grated zucchini and lots of other veges. My pair of anti zucchini eaters don't know and quite happily eat their meals :).
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, any chance of getting a copy of your chicken and corn pie, Robyn? It sounds delish!! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi, could we have some more details on the spinach pie? It looks delicious! Also how do you make your own ricotta? Thank you! I've never had any luck with cucumbers but I've got loads of cherry toms ripening at the moment, they're so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, I've added the recipe links to the post for you. Enjoy those tomatoes! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh you are such an inspiration! I have so many things you do that I want to try - the comfrey ointment, the ricotta, now the spinach pie. I have also been getting tiny eggplant and just love them. I might think about joining in on your slow living quest next month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh lala! Great cucumbers and I adore zucchini! That spinach pie looks fabulous! What a brilliant find -that yarn looks great, and I wish I had a ball winder like that! Perfect! By the way, thanks for your comments on my blog -I don't dye my own wool -it came in that shocking bright pink! It is yet another thing I would like to do some day -dye using natural dyes!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta Love a good op shop that has laid hidden fro the masses. I am in the process of perfecting my Chocolate and beetroot cake, I have made muffins before but the cake is a bit different. I will post it when done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous! Everything is luscious, wool included :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of those things you mention are simple and straightforward, africanaussie - it's just a matter of finding/making the time.. ;)

      Those socks of yours are going to be the bee's knees, Faeryfay!! :)

      Ahh, yes, chocolate and beetroot cake - I must try making this sometime, Fiona. Thanks for the reminder to sow some beetroot.. ;) (Hope you aren't too wet at your place)

      Why thankyou, Sherri. xx

      Delete
  12. Love the op-shops!! Couldnt (or wouldnt want to) live without them! Im still jealous of your garden, guess I'll have to go and have another go and hope Mother Nature finds another way to feed the local possums!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went back to that opshop today, more velvet cushions, a new bin and a couple of books. Super friendly ladies - it's just awesome. Great froggy picture and I'm jealous of your cucumbers - ours are just starting to form. Love your new dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice long chatty post! My first thought was, 'lucky you, having all those cukes!' If you were closer we could swap some for lettuce and carrots!
    And I am suitably impressed with your op shop finds. I have one of those wool winders and all of us just love winding with it - it makes such nice balls of wool! Those green socks will be a smash hit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah such good finds, especially that book! Love that you were sprung, but hoped the enjoyed the brownies anyway? Looks delicious from where I'm sitting : ) Working on my entry for Febuary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pesky possums, Kara! I don't know what the solution to that one is aside from extensive netting...?

      SUCH nice ladies, Kirsty. I love the way the drawers are full of stuff too.. Is froggy a Southern Brown Tree Frog?

      A swap would indeed be nice, Evi. I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled across the yarn winder...it was $5! The best $5 I've spent in a looong time. :)

      Yes Stacey, the brownie was still enjoyed but not quite as intensely, I imagine, as it would've been if they hadn't caught me in the act. Excellent - looking forward to your post. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts