Slow Living- Month By Month

The past few weeks I've been tossing around a few goals in my head that I want to work on this year. I'm not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions, having observed way too many failed attempts. No, I'm thinking something different here. What I've been mulling over is the keeping of a journal of sorts, specifically for these goals, incorporated into this blog - which is already half way there but not organised in the way I would like!.

The things I want to improve on this year focus mainly on self reliance and increasing it.  Biking over driving, having a larger stockpile of home preserved goods, extending our use of homemade green cleaners and body products..hopefully to include more herbal creations from the garden and the baking of more nutritious tween snacks instead of the sugar laden variety that we so love, just to name a few.

The main goals I have in mind fall under nine categories. I know, I couldn't make it to ten! Nine is enough though and because there are several I am thinking of collating these goals together monthly. Time, blogging time especially, is a precious gift to me and I don't think I would have the available window to keep this 'diary' updated weekly. Plus, this way, I can have the list in the back of my mind during the month and work on it when time permits. Projects DO take time, as I'm sure you know! Other goals in addition to those listed above are included in the list mainly to keep track of them and keep me motivated.


I'm also thinking that....Together we could inspire each other.

Seriously!

Below is what I've come up with. I will be posting 'diary entries' at the end of each month. If you feel you would like to take part with your own goals listed under the categories, please do! By sharing what we are up to and how we are making positive life changes, we can inspire each other further. Tips and hints never go astray. If you're a new reader and are feeling shy, don't! Bloggers don't bite (actually, that is one of the huge advantages with this medium - their teeth can't come anywhere near you!). Just kidding. If you are a new reader or blogger, you are officially invited to join in. Regular readers too, of course! This goes without saying.

So, by now I take it your're positively beside yourself with wanting to know what is on The List?

Ok, here goes..


SLOW LIVING - Month by Month 2012

NOURISH: Make and bake as much as possible from scratch. Ditch overpackaged, overprocessed convenience foods and opt for 'real' food instead. Share favourite links/recipes/tips from the month here.

PREPARE: Stockpile and preserve. Freeze extra meals or excess garden/market produce. Bottle/can, dehydrate or pickle foods to enjoy when they are not in season. Aim to reduce dependancy on store bought items especially those known to contain BPA and other suspect additives. Stocking up on dry goods when prices are low counts too.

REDUCE: Cut down on household waste by re-using, re-purposing and repairing. A ladder into a strawberry planter? A sheet into a dress? Share ideas and project links here, allowing others to be inspired.

GREEN: up our lives. Start (or continue!) using homemade cleaners, body products and basic herbal remedies. The options are endless, the savings huge and the health benefits enormous.

GROW: plant/harvest. What's growing this month? What's being eaten from the garden? Herbs in a pot, sprouts on a windowsill or and entire fruit/vegetable garden -opt for what fits space and time constraints. Don't have a backyard? Ask a friendly neighbour or relative for a small patch of theirs in return for some home grown produce, they may surprise you!

CREATE: to fill a need or feed the soul. Create for ourselves or for others. Create something as simple as a handmade gift tag or something as extravagant as a fine knit shawl. Share project details and any new skills learnt here.

DISCOVER: Feed the mind by reading texts relevant to current interests. Trawl libraries, second hand shops or local book shops to find titles that fill the need. Share titles/authors of what is being read this month.

ENHANCE: community: Possibilities include supporting local growers & producers, help out at a local school/kindergarten, barter or foodswap, joining a playgroup or forming a walking or craft group. Car pooling where possible and biking/walking instead of driving. Even start up a blog if you haven't already - online communities count too! Or maybe just help out someone trying to cross the street! The rewards for your time are often returned tenfold.

ENJOY: Life! Embrace moments with friends and family. Marking the seasons, celebrations and new arrivals are all cause for enjoyment. Share a moment to be remembered from the month here.

It may look like a lot, although I imagine many of you are already doing things on this list already. Other things may need to be worked at a little more.  By collating our goals and achievements together in one monthly post we can keep track of them and gain an idea of what we want to focus more on next month.

I do hope you'll join in with me! I'm really excited about it!

I'll update shortly with my diary entry for Month One, which already seems to have flown to the wind!

Where did that time go?

Comments

  1. I'm thinking I might give this a try. If I can sit down and figure out something for each category, I think this can be really fun :) :) It would be amazing to look back at the end of a year and see what I've accomplished. Okay, give me a few days to think this over...but I just may join you :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Heather! It would be such fun to share in each others posts! Hope to see you back here. :)

      Delete
    2. What day of the week will you be looking at your slow living goals for the month? I'm going to work on getting something together...and have it ready for next week. I'd love to participate for sure!!!!

      Delete
    3. Hi Heather, I'll be updating at the end of each month, although feel free to join in any time during the month. It would be great to have you joining in! Just leave a link to your blog post in Month 1's post.. :)

      Delete
    4. Alright then, I'll have something ready by next week. I am making Fridays the day I blog about money?..Well, today I am blogging about what I spent for the week in groceries..all part of my effort to live within my means eachmonth...and right now, it's just tracking what I spend. Once I have a better handle on that, I'll start refining and learning where to save money, but still be healthy etc :) :) I've seen other bloggers do this, and I'm so inspired :) :)

      Delete
  2. What a great list. You have put so much thought into these goals and I am frankly a bit inspired :) Look forward to reading about each achievement/discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I really needed one spot to put all the stuff that keeps floating around in my head. ;)

      Delete
  3. I agree. Inspiring!!
    Let me have a little think and will get back to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brydie..hopefully we can inspire each other. :)

      Delete
  4. Christine you are a legend! I think I might just join you in this. I find I have so much I want to get done this year and I am trying to keep it all straight in my head. Writing a monthly diary entry on my blog would help free up the headspace and keep me accountable and motivated. I would love to support others as well.

    Okay I am in. Off to write my first diary entry now.
    Thank you. Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too cool, Deb! Thanks for joining in!!

      Delete
  5. Love it! Back later to participate....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a fantastic idea Christine. I'm in! Might need a couple of days to get my first entry together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I love it! I'd love to join in with this brilliant idea!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This suits me fine as I actually set my goals for the year starting in Feb after I have gotten well and truely over the holiday buzz and have put some thought into what I want to achieve. I will be back to join with my post tomorrow as many of these were on my list and the ones that weren't can be added without too much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, ladies! I'm so happy that you're enthused! :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to join in as I have decided that 2012 is going be my year for building resilience and taking life my slowly and simply. Count me in! Might take a few days to get around to my first post though so please be patient :-)

    I blog at http://savingplaneta.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing sharon's independence day challenge cause I need the "instant gratification" of the weekly update. But I'll be following along with interest

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fine, Clare, it will be here when you are ready. You can update any time during the month, no hard rules!

    Sounds good, Margo, have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done my January update! http://savingplaneta.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/slow-living-2012-january-update.html Just off to check out what other people have been up to during January and look forward to being inspired.

      Delete
  13. I think I'll print this out and put it on my fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I have found this wonderful post via Tricia at Little Eco Foot prints...I will be joing in thanks, will blog within the week. thanks again for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go for it, Anon. ;)

    Excellent, Domestic Artisan! Just come back and leave a link to your blog post when it's up so others can read along, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Christine! That was fun! I gave it a go. you can find my effort at
    www.littlepracticalfrog.blogspot.com

    http://littlepracticalfrog.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/slowing-down-reflections-on-january.html

    Cheers! - Kara

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to join. I dabble in many of the goals you listed and it would be great to share and learn from others. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're welcome, Calico Hen. Just leave a link to your blog post under this month's diary entry when you're ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay. I'll have a whack at this, too. Like many others, a lot of what is on your list I am doing or trying to do already, so count me in.

    It will hopefully make me accountable to myself, albeit on a public scale!

    I've come to you via Deb from A Clothesline Out the Back (who also happens to be a dear friend).

    My first post for February might have to come a little bit later in the week or next week, though, I'm afraid. I really need to sit down and think out what I want to achieve.

    Thanks for the 'challenge'.

    http://barefootbride-thebarefootbride.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Barefoot Bride - it's great to have you along!

      Delete
  20. Bit late to the party, but I'm in too! such a fabulous idea!
    I blog at http://livingthegentlelife.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Christine I find your blog very inspiring I have only just come across the concept of slow living - I am giving it lots of thought and looking at ways it could change my current perception of life. I have written a little bit about slow living and added your link onto my blog - I hope that is ok Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Christine, although this looks like some of it will be a challenge, this is exactly what I need to give my slowing down attempts some structure and mindfulness!
    I would love to join in for May. Even though it's half over that doesn't matter :)
    Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally fine, Sue :)

    Great, slowborg. Just link back when you have your post up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey thanks so much for this and I do think it's good to be inspired by others...we already do much slow living/cooking/growing but I'm certain there are things we haven't thought of! I'll be back for a link up beginning next week when I'll have a nice slow look around the homestead to discern what fits.
    *anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps... popped in from lightly crunchy

      Delete
  25. Hi Anna, welcome! Looking forward to your linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, I've come to you via Lightly Crunchy who wrote about her month using your headings. I really like them and have made a note for myself. Lovely positive way to look at your time. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for coming up with such a great idea...I've been reading this over the last few months and am finally up for giving it a go! Am completely new to the blogging thing, so this could be interesting. Thank goodness there are a lot of other inspiring blogs here to point me in the right direction :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts