Summer wrap dress

A few weeks ago, armed with a voucher to use up at a local craft store (the one that starts with 'L'), I timed my visit to coincide with their half price pattern and fabric sale. Loathe to pay full price in such an establishment, this was a prime example of when you might find me in such a place. I was looking for a couple of summer dress patterns and found a couple of wrap dresses that could make the cut (spontaneous pun not intended, but not dismissed either!).

I came home with two New Look patterns (6349 and 6674). Both extremely similar in design, with one  slightly more involved in it's construction. I just couldn't make a decision on which one to choose so grabbed them both! Deciding to start with the easier dress pattern of the pair, I cut out 6349 that very same day and there it sat, untouched for several weeks. Yesterday however, with a 37c day forecast, I woke up knowing that that was the day to get this little craft room lurker completed and into the wardrobe.

And completed it was!

In just over two hours!

This is a record for me, making a dress in one sitting. This is what happens when a person can't sleep and keeps waking up at uncivilized hours of the morning. A dress is stitched up and ready to wear before the rest of the family has even finished eating their weekend breakfast!

I do like an easy dress pattern...and this one most definitely was...

New Look 6349
I love, love, love the wrap tie that forms a belt at the back of the dress...a little on the vintage side, yes?


It's also comfy. Really, really comfy. Which is a good thing on a 37c day!


I am so happy with how straightforward (and quick!) it was to stitch up, I think I may make another!

Although I seriously doubt that we will have any more such warm days to wear it on....

..plus I really need to get my skates on and start on that second pattern that came home with me that day and cut into the fabric that keeps staring at me from the corner of the craft room..

Comments

  1. You are clever! The dress is lovely and yes you are right it is does have a vintage look to it. I love that feeling of accomplishment when a project is finished, good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! :) So feminine, practical, stylish and just plain adorable! Well done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accomplishment is the best, Lisa :)

      Aw, Sherri, as always, you're too sweet!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Makes me feel like trying a dress pattern out myself. I'll be interested to see how the next one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely dress. I can't wait to see the next one and have a feeling it might be finished very soon after your first great result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dress patterns are good fun, Racheal, plus they're so practical to wear..no fussing with tops and bottoms and who doesn't feel good in a dress?

      Hmm, we'll see, Linda. I'm pretty excited about the fabric for the second one though..

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely dress and it looks so compfy! You did a wonderful job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw admire people who can whip up something as lovely as that, well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous dress, well done to you : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Becky, Sonya and Stacey, you're very kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo - very nice! You are inspiring me to have a look at a few sewing projects that have sitting waiting for me to get back to them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could have a whole wardrobe of these dresses in different fabrics and they would all look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts