Slow Living 2012 - The final wrap up - month 12!

I know, I know, as the old saying goes it's better late than never!

I can hardly believe that the year of this challenge has come to an end. The months seemed to roll around so fast and it was not at all difficult to come up with something I had accomplished that month for each most of the categorues. Definitely a great way to build motivation! I am also really looking forward to reading over the past 12 months and reflecting on my accomplishments. But without further ado, the final wrap up for 2012!

Feel like doing the same? Just leave a link to your blog post written in this format at the bottom of this page and enjoy hopping over to see what others have been up to, hopefully gaining some new ideas and inspiration.  For a detailed description of each category, click here.  

{nourish} Hmmm, let's see. December saw a definite focus on food and while not much Christmas baking took place, I did enjoy making my first ever baked Christmas dinner. It's usually warm weather around that time and we never seem to move past the reliable salads and cold ham platters. It was a nice change this (last!) year to have a hot meal!

We also partook in several bbq's. A solstice celebration at the top of our mountain, a new years eve bbq and quite a few more quiet ones at home with the finer weather calling us outdoors.


{prepare} Ok, I lied, I really did find it difficult to write something for every category! Zippo preparation in the way of preserving/bottling took place in December! What can I say, it really is the silly season and this time around I really felt it. Does braiding garlic count?

{reduce} I've been having a whale of a time lately scrounging up materials in the garden to repurpose into other useful things. Hubby pulled up our rotten railway sleepers that were our front and side steps and I immediately found a use for them as garden edging...plus when they eventually break down completely, they'll make great compost! With a massive yard clean up, I have taken the opportunity to have a good stock take of exactly what I have on hand for future projects  (err, chook runs) and have finally finished the outdoor run for our hatchy mamas! Oh and throw in a set of 'donkey steps' made with homegrown timber and bark chips and I'm feeling particularly smug. ;)


{grow} There's a LOT planted out however we seem to be in a bit of a lull at the moment...the raspberries have finished and we are waiting for the summer growers to reach maturity. Plenty of green tomatoes and our first ever spaghetti squash, how exciting! Beans are looking promising, as are corn, eggplant and mini capsicums.

Harvests we enjoyed during  December included the ever delightful raspberries, a small patch of potatoes, the odd apricot and garlic. Plenty of garlic.


{green} May I sing the praises of bicarb once more? I am finding it a most versatile home and body cleaner, it really is very underrated. I just love the stuff! Toothpaste, deodorant, hair wash, bath and basin cleaner, carpet deodoriser, the list goes on! I'm sure it would make a great doggy wash, too!

{discover}
Chook reading and garden projects. This is what is occupying my mind lately!

My new favourite gardening book - The Thrifty Gardener by ABC Gardening Australia presenter, Millie Ross. Such COOL projects to try from a like minded scrounger. Her firepit is already on the go...


{create} Surprisingly, December saw a little bit of creativity among the hectic social calender. Gifts were finished off, one being a scarf made with hand dyed and hand spun alpaca fibre for my eldest (sooo glad to get this one under my belt! Photo soon..), along with a couple of hand knitted beanies for the younger ones' teachers. Oh and another beanie for my brother, who I drew in the family kris kringle. I also was pestered enough by the youngest to dye some of her feathers that she had collected..actually, she did the dying herself by applying it with a paintbrush, I just heated them up for her to set the dye, the clever cookie.

Hand painted cockatoo feathers!

{enhance} With the school year coming to a close, I volunteered to do a shift for the 'graduation dinner' held for the grade sixes. With our middle one going into grade six, this work will then be done this year by the grade five parents - a great system! It was a lovely night for them with a Rock'n'Roll themed dinner, a milkshake bar, bopping music and the most enormous hamburgers and cherry sundaes you ever did see!

{enjoy} Lots to enjoy during the month of December, although at times I felt a little overwhelmed with the social hecticness of it all. A (particularly lengthy) ballet concert, art exhibition and theatre performance were all highlights. Toss in the Solstice, Christmas and my birthday and the month was pretty much taken care of. However,  what I enjoyed most of all were the quieter moments at home where we could enjoy hearing ourselves think and taking delight in seeing our first ever chickens hatch! Two broody hens are now raising their own little families, one with two, and the other with four. So precious!

Who said Isa Brown's don't go broody? 

So, tell me, if it's not too late that is, how was your month?

Did you enjoy these monthly wrap ups? Did you find motivation in visiting other peoples' blogs? Have you found like minded souls that share fantastic tips? Share it all, people! I'd love to hear!  :)

Comments

  1. It was a great year getting to know some other blogs...I don't normally have time to read blogs, so it was always great to quickly pop over to ones listed here and see what they got up to. Thank you for hosting this over the last year, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Wendy, time poor but interesting to see what others are up to. It was so nice to have you joining in! :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the recap, Christine, and love your expression "like-minded scrounger." I definitely belong to that club! It's nice to see such a lush garden, when my view at the minute contains quite a bit of snow and ice. Still, lots of indoor (and in-barn) projects to putter at. And I just started a blog, partly to help me track projects in 2013: http://comptonia.blogspot.com/
    I hope it will help keep me on track, as it clearly has worked for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you have started a blog, Quinn!!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back. I hope you had a nice break.

    I would link up my January post, but it appears to be missing. :-/ I wonder if I accidentally deleted it.??

    It sounds like your garden scrounging has been most productive.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to link up again, thank you! Hoping it will continue in 2013? It has been great to see what others are doing too and most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to have you along, Wendy! I hope you enjoyed the link ups. :)

      Delete
  5. Well hello there! The grade six graduation sounds great. Obviously some creative and imaginative parents involved at your school. The chickens are lovely. We hatched some in December too. More eggs going under the bantam this week. Nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello, hello yourself! I hope your Christmas/New year was enjoyable, Linda! This hatching business is so much fun..ahh!

      Delete
  6. Are you going to continue the challenge and posting this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, wfmborg, playing it by ear a little, I think. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Christine,

    Busy month! It's always crazy this time of year isn't it? I'm glad you were able to take some time off though and head up north. You'll have to post more photos of your adventures up there - it's such a pretty area in the summer.

    Thanks so much for commenting on my new blog. I have so many ideas for it - I can't wait to start working on it. I'm also looking forward to getting more involved in the world of blogging generally..

    Have a great day!

    Lisa

    PS. Brother loves his beanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your new blog is looking beautiful already, Lisa! All the best with it. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Christine - thanks for hosting this slow living link up this year. I didn't manage to do every month, but certainly enjoyed reading what others had done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased that people managed to join in when time and lifestyle permitted, africanaussie. I just wish I had more time to visit blogs more, to see all the interesting news and tips being shared! x

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed linking up this year so thanks for hosting. I hope you enjoyed your break away from your blog I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A break is always good for the soul, isn't it, Fiona. Lovely to have you joining in the linkups, I enjoyed reading them.

      Delete
  10. Found it. :-)

    To echo the others... I have greatly enjoyed the process as well. I hope you continue to be our gracious host.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, excellent! Thanks for being such a motivated and regular contributor to this project, Kathryn. It has really touched me. Wishing you a glorious 2013! :)

      Delete
  11. As usual, love your blog! And the photos of the chickies are gorgeous. Can't wait to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anytime at all! You just name the day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved these monthly catch ups (even if I was often a little late, and especially late this month), and I loved that it motivated me, made me reflect regularly and gave me lots of ideas to try in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Christine!
    Glad you finished the year off! I was looking forward to see how Christmas went for you all! Thanks for hosting this round up - Ive really enjoyed it. Im keen to keep going if you are as its been a lot of fun and a good way to track what Im doing as well as making new friends and getting some fabulous ideas! Happy New year! - Kara xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine,

    Can I just say that I love your monthly round up. I really enjoyed particpating in the first part of the, but got quickly overwhelemed with life, although I did enjoy taking some time out to continue to read all the linked blogs to be inspired by their creativity. Again as everyone else has said it would be lovely to continue in 2013, and namely because I have two beautiful watermelons that I could add to the grow section!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Christine. Finally I have my December Slow Living Post done! It seemed to take forever for me to finish it this month because I've had so much to say in so many other areas as well. I seem to be having a posting spurt!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts