Friday, February 1, 2013

Slow Living 2013 - January


The Slow Living monthly updates lives on! After much too-ing and fro-ing, I am pleased to offer them again for 2013! I won't lie, they can be time consuming, and yes they can sometimes be tricky to fit in to an already full day but I just don't know where I would be without them! I love taking the time out to reflect back upon the last month and tally up the achievements, however small or seemingly irrelevant...lots of baby steps = BIG steps wouldn't you say!

Plus, I just love that you are keen to keep them going too, cruising around reading  fantastic posts and tips is so amazingly inspiring. I do hope you will enjoy this monthly link-up, either as a personal reflection or as a sharing of knowledge as much as I do. :)

So, interested in joining in? Just leave a link to your own blog post written in this format at the bottom of this post and enjoy seeing what others are up to! Hopefully gaining some inspiration and new ideas along the way. For a detailed description of each category, click here. 




 Slow Living 2013 - January 

{nourish} Sushi handrolls, salads and barbecues were the flavour of this month. Baking has taken a back seat with the warm (hot!) weather. The odd sweet offering did make an appearance though with a birthday celebration in the house. Now what's a birthday without cake?

{prepare} This month, I've been 'preparing' in a slightly different way. Loads of clearing up outside and organising spaces for their proper functions that will be required for the year ahead. Animal feed bins were located in sensible places, the dye corner was de-cluttered and the courtyard was dosed with love. Finally, a spot to sit close to the house for meals, this is my favourite spot of late!

Japanese climbing cucumber
{grow} January saw the revival of watering timers in a big way! We have a lot of vegetables planted out at the moment and there was no way that I could accomplish the same effect of slow, gentle watering if I were to cover it all by hand. Using timers also means that the garden can be watered during the night while I am fast asleep, soaking in slowly when it is most effective. Worm water and seaweed (juice?) were another favourite of the month. The plants just love it and seem to be able to cope with the hot weather so much better.

January harvests:  parsely, silverbeet, mint, lemons, calendula and the odd blueberry!
We have also enjoyed the first tomatoes, beans, eggplants and mini-capsicums.
 Planted:  pak choy, lettuce, basil, spinach. Sowed: cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, beans and basil.


{green} Last week I noticed an irritating rash on my side after working in the garden (cutting raspberries/cuddling chooks..you know!), and employed some fresh calendula petals to relieve the itching/burning. They worked quite well, albeit a little messy. We have also started using our homemade soap that was made towards the end of last year. And through accident, I discovered eucalyptus oil and vinegar mixed with hot water make a great shower cleaner! Seriously, try it!

Outside, I finally installed a solar light in the chook pen, for times when we need some extra illumination. (It doesn't come on automatically, there is an on/off switch).

{reduce} January was without a doubt the month of the project! A fire pit from salvaged bricks and a scrap pallet vegetable bed were two of my favourites. Hubby fashioned a goat hut from the neighbour's old swing set frame and I was so fed up with using two chairs to hold yarn while winding it, I banged together a yarn swift from lattice offcuts. It's not pretty but it works!



{create} ummmm... half a sock was knitted while we were holidaying. This means we were having a great time! Back at home I managed to squeeze in a little dyeing towards the end of the month.

handspun alpaca
alpaca
{discover} The big revelation for me this month was 'Hugelkultur'. After a post about using up fallen timber, Farmer Liz kindly enlightened me to this practice! Where have I been? Basically it's a process of burying rotten timber into the ground and filling the gaps with soil and then growing in it. The rotting timber provides all the nutrients the plants need and watering is also greatly reduced.

I am SO excited to give this a go and have just the pile of rotten timber to put to use after hubby pulled up all of our decaying railway sleeper steps over the holidays!

{enhance} This month I volunteered for a four day shift to water the school vegie/garden beds and tend the chooks/ducks. I also decided to keep this monthly link-up going, online stuff counts too, remember!

{enjoy} During January it was so nice to spend time away with my family on holiday. I just love the small town of Bright in Victoria's north east - biking, swimming and walking were a big feature. It was fun to be able to take our dog with us too!

Back at home, the ability to do as we pleased without having schedules or routines to work around was a real treat!


How was your month? 


28 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so glad you have decided to continue with this. I will be sitting down and completing mine tommorow and adding it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, so happy you chose to keep going. I am going to sit down this afternoon and see if I have been more productive than I thought this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, looking forward to your posts, Juggler and Wendy. :)

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you are still doing this. I always love reading them and I am afraid I am not as good as you are at doing one every month . Loved your decluttering ...that is what I have been doing all holidays and it has been so worth it.
    Lots of great ideas !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, not sure how disciplined I'll be this year with doing and update every month, Kim! I'll still offer the link ups though. Hopefully I'll then have more time to see what people have been up to!

      And the decluttering..it's so good for the soul - hubby has been converted. I caught him the other day cutting up a discarded scooter to extend a pipe on his woodsplitter! Clever man. :)

      Delete
  4. Aaah, you've just answered my emailed Q's!! Perhaps I'll stick with your monthly account even if some of your categories get a bit tricky!! I did really love this last year as it made me look back and celebrate the things I managed to get done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure at all to fill in every category, Evi. It is after all, your reflection. :)

      Delete
  5. Yay! I'll be in it! I was hoping you'd do this again this year - always inspiring to read what others are up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Amber, looking forward to your post. :)

      Delete
  6. I have just added my link. I originally found your blog through Heidi at Lightly Crunchy and her Slow Living posts.

    I have been trying to get organised for a few months to join in and decided that a new year was a good time to start. Thank you for keeping the links going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am very happy that you will continue to host. :-)

    I love reading about your garden and re-purposing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so pleased that you're continuing this, thank you! And I do like that blue/green yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done it! It felt really good to look back at a month that I thought had been unproductive and find that I had achieved a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burying fallen timber, what a great idea. I wonder if this would work for weeds as well, if I cut off the roots? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christine, so glad to be continuing with the slow living reports for 2013, I really enjoy reading everyone's updates. Love the colours you have used for the yarn, the orange/red is gorgeous too! Isn't it nice to be able to eat out of the garden at this time of year! Have a great week, Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another person who is pleased you've decided to keep these posts going - i learn so much from reading what other people are actually doing, while i can only dream and prepare!.
    i've never heard of hugelkulter, but sounds like a bit of interesting information to store away for future reference.
    that last photo is lovely and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful wool colours! I love reading about the warm weather activities on the other side of the world. Mine is under several cms of snow at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a productive and full month you've had. So much goodness!
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so good for keeping perspective! Thanks for continuing.

    Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Christine, another vote of thanks from me for continuing with the journal! Sounds like you've had a lovely summer. I definitely need to do some similar "preparing" to yours this coming month after my lazy January!
    T x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice to have you joining in again, people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting again Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Christine! Another voice in the "I'm glad you decided to continue the monthly reflections" ranks! I have had massive blogger problems over the last few weeks and it has taken for ever to work through them I uninstalled Google Chrome as it wasnt working for me and it threw my blogging abilities outt he window as well. I had trouble going to ANY blogger site at all... So I have reinstalled Google Chrome and am enjoying a wonderful morning of visiting all my bloggy mates and discovering new ones!! Thanks again! - K xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Kara and Wendy! So nice to see you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. just found your excellent and inspiring blog! I'm a librarian/teacher/writer/speaker/presenter....and am always on the lookout for support for myself, family, friends, students and clients! A subject dear to my heart is artful, conscious living. We NEED to slow down and yet many struggle with just how to make this happen. Thanks so much for the great sharing and the opportunity to connect! Much love RJ

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOnderful, Robyn, looking forward to your first Slow Living post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay I finally got my slow living post done, sorry it's late!!I guess it's okay to be late though because we are writing about 'slow ' living , so I was just a bit slower than everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoop, Kim! And you are totally right..it IS slow living, after all!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...