Winter Warming Lentil Soup

 I Love Soup.

Yes ma'am, soup has a big fan in me. I love it as a clear broth with little vegetables cut up in it, sometimes floating alongside delicate noodles. I love it offered in a rustic way with hearty chunks of tasty vegetables, herbs and pasta goodness or quite simply, at it's most basic, creamed and whizzed. Any way is absolutely fine by me, because I believe over winter, one can never have too much soup! Of course, it's an entirely different story once those first days of Spring hit, but while Winter is here, I am Enjoying My Soup!! Thoroughly!

This week it has been of the lentil variety. Such an easy soup to prepare with minimal time spent at the bench chopping. If you're organised, the lentils can be soaked overnight in a bowl of cold water, otherwise they will do just fine with a mere three hours or so soaking time in recently boiled water.

As with any homemade soup, much of the taste and nutrition comes from the base. My favourite base for soups is a good, hearty homemade stock. It doesn't have to me meat based, vegetable stock is fine too! We just happen to prefer ours chicken based most of the time.

Another option instead of stock is to substitute whey leftover from cheese making as a soup base. I feel it would be an enormous shame to whey'st this nutritious liquid! If you've been experimenting with homemade ricotta or similar, you will have a significant amount of whey needing to be used up and soup and bread is the perfect partnership. I love it when things slot together so neatly! Every piece of the jigsaw puzzle neatly in it's place, just as it should be. :)


Winter Warming Lentil Soup

Ingredients
2 cups green lentils (dry), soaked
2 onions, chopped
2-4 cloves crushed garlic, depending how strong you like it
1 litre homemade stock
any leftover whey you have to hand, 1- 1.5 litres is ideal
dried herbs - thyme is especially nice in this soup
1/2 cup thickened cream
sour cream to garnish
olive oil, salt and pepper


Method
1. Rinse the soaked lentils in plenty of cold running water and allow to drain.

2. In a large pot, heat a little olive oil over low heat and gently saute the onions and garlic. Once they are transparent, add the stock, whey, lentils and herbs, topping up with water if needed to cover the lentils generously. Allow to come to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for around 45 minutes to 1 hour, checking the liquid level occasionally to make sure it isn't getting too low.

3. Once the lentils are tender, remove the pot from the heat and whiz the soup with a stick blender until smooth. It may take a while - those lentils can be incredibly stubborn at times! Keep persisting though - smooth is the key word here.

4. Return the soup to a gentle heat, stir through the cream and herbs and season to taste. Adjust to your favoured consistency by adding a little more stock or boiling water to suit. Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a scattering of your favourite herbs. Enjoy :)

Comments

  1. I feel the same way about hot soup in the cold weather. On the other hand, on hot, muggy days, I sometimes recall a nice chilled cucumber dill soup I enjoyed in a restaurant many years ago. This may be the summer I learn to make chilled soups as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried chilled soup, Quinn. I imagine it would be very refreshing! Keep cool. :)

      Delete
  2. We never get actual winter up here in the tropics, but I really enjoy the taste of soup. Especially lentil soup. I made some recently with sprouted lentils and really enjoyed the taste and texture. Sprouting is supposed to make the lentils even easier to digest. the recipe is here if you are interested http://africanaussie-recipes.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/sprouted-lentil-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, africanaussie - I will give the sprouting a go!

      Delete
  3. Yum! I love lentil soup, it is definitely the weather for it, we had Chorizo, tomato and butter bean soup tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yumm, that sounds deliciously hearty, Kim!!

      Delete
  4. Oh yum. That looks delicious. I love soups in winter also, especially with freshly baked sour dough bread. Thanks for the recipe, just might have it for lunch today. better get the lentils soaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our homemade sourdough has made a comeback lately, Kate - such perfect soup and bread weather isn't it! Soup and bread - a complete meal. :)

      Delete
  5. We're having really hot weather now and this still sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh some hot weather would be quite nice here for a day or two! It was 1c this morning..chilly for us! Maybe you could try Quinn's chilled cucumber soup? ;)

      Delete
  6. Yum Soups , Will make one this weekend once I have made some stock.
    thanks for that

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE soup too! Thank you so much for this delicious looking recipe:)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have seriously just answered the question of what to make for dinner! I have a little whey left (and I will have lots more when I keep on making cheese so THANKS!), I have lentils, bought just this weekend and I have some leftover kangaroo from a roast the other night so I will dice that finely and chuck it in too. Oh my, I am already drooling! I cannot thank you enough for this recipe, seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating it now and all I can say is "Oh my!" :D

      Delete
  9. Hello!

    Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/ so that we could link to them.

    Everyrecipe is a search engine that compiles the best German cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.
    To join Everyrecipe, just go to http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/add-your-food-blog

    Cheers,
    Elin
    Everyrecipe.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts